Upgrade your experience!

Want to access more within our games at Mountain Interactive? Access Exclusive Perks by donating an amount of your choosing per month!

Upgrade Now

We commit to you.

Our goals are to bring everyone the best games possible, we outsource to smaller communities and conduct game buyouts using the funds we make from donations, your support is what makes our games better and better each day.

Vraggly's Moderator Application

1. Roblox Username: Vraggly

2. Link to your Roblox Profile: https://www.roblox.com/users/433063849/profile

3. Discord Tag: Vraggly#2651

4. RP Name: Isaac Knight

5. Timezone/Country: MST, Canada

6. Age: 17

1. What made you want to apply for a position with Mountain Interactive's Community Moderation Team? Please provide a detailed explanation of your motivation and what attracts you to the team.

From the time I have spent so far as a member of Mountain Interactive, I have come to greatly enjoy this community. I actively play Perris, and have made friends here. The staff team have created a fun, enjoyable experience for all of us to play. I would love to help out this community in any way I can, and I believe that joining your team is the best way for me to do that. While I play Perris, it is pretty often that I stumble across violators of your community rules and guidelines. It is simply part of having an open, non-whitelisted roleplay game. In these situations, I request help from a moderator in the game, but there isn't always one there. I actively gather evidence of rule-breakers in any game I play, and submit reports when possible. Combining my experience in moderation, my activity, and my passion for this community, I thought it would be a good idea to apply for Moderator. I'm confident I would be an excellent addition to your team. 

2. Considering your strengths and weaknesses, why should we select you? Highlight your key strengths that align with the qualities and attributes sought by Mountain Interactive's Community Moderation Team. Be honest about your weaknesses but emphasize how you work to overcome them and how they do not hinder your ability to perform the role effectively. 

Nobody likes pointing out their weaknesses, but I understand how important it is. I can often find myself struggling to communicate with other staff members on a team correctly. I have developed my own style of moderation, and a part of it is that I work most efficiently alone, and enjoy my work the best that way. When in an argument with a coworker, I usually end up trying to push the situation away. I know that the best way to work through arguments, especially in a work environment, is to discuss both perspectives and come to a mutual conclusion. I recognize this weakness of mine, and actively work on it every chance I get. As a moderator, I strive to better myself every day. A huge part of that isn't just keeping up good work, but actually solving problems that I might not want to solve, and adapting my work in order to overcome my weaknesses. As for strengths, most of them came with time as my career progressed. My most notable strengths when it comes to moderation is my knowledge/experience, maturity, activity, consistency, and my impartial judgment. I know all of the ins and outs of moderating pretty much every genre, and county RPs are no exception. I understand how the gears must turn in order for a community to prosper. Over time, I have learned of the significance of maturity in a moderator, as well as how important consistency in your work/logs is to those higher ups. I make time for my positions, especially when it is one that I am passionate about. I pride myself most on my impartial judgment, I never moderate with a bias. All players are to be held to the same standards, no matter how long they have played, how well-known they are, or even how much money they have contributed to the community. Rules are created for a reason, nobody should be excused. However, this impartial judgment should not be perceived as only relating to moderation punishments. Everyone in a community deserves the same respect and rights. I treat everyone equally, in both situations of good and bad light.

3. Do you have any previous experience as a staff member in moderating games or communities? If so, please provide details of your roles, responsibilities, and notable achievements. 

Yes, I do. For outside of Roblox, I have primarily been a staff member for CS:GO and Team Fortress 2 community servers. On these servers, there isn't as much of a staff hierarchy as there is in most Roblox games, as the focus is entirely on the experience and content of the server. There is usually only one or two staff ranks, and then management. For CS:GO, I have been an Administrator for the EdgeGamers Organization, and a Senior Administrator for HeLLsGamers. In these communities, the administrators do both the work of a moderator and an administrator by Roblox standards. My job was to actively play in the servers owned by the organizations, keeping an eye out for cheaters and all violators of the community guidelines. There isn't very much diversity for moderation commands in these games, mostly just mutes, bans, and team suspensions (CT bans for the jailbreak servers). On top of game moderation, we also actively took care of the Discord servers and forums. For Team Fortress 2, it was essentially the same work, as the community servers have plenty of similarities between both games. I was an Administrator for wonderland.tf, doing game and forum moderation, not as much Discord moderation as I did for the CS:GO organizations.

4. Have you ever been a member of staff or a moderator in a Roblox game or community? If yes, please provide relevant details. 

Yes, I've been actively participating in Roblox groups since 2015, over multiple accounts, and many different genres. My experience with Roblox moderation initially stemmed from some fairly large military groups in 2015, where I would become an HR and simply moderate the game for exploiters. As Roblox groups developed into more complicated communities from 2016 to 2017, new trends and norms were set for moderation. During this time period I would moderate still mostly for groups where I was an HR, notably a large Canada group, military groups, police groups, SCPF groups, and heading into 2018 I began to really gain a liking to RP communities. It was here where I began my moderation in situations more similar to MI's games. In the older groups, moderation was pretty much just taking care of exploiters and dealing with major group rule breakers. In RP games, there are much more specific rules that you really have to pay attention to and take the time to learn. My knowledge grew exponentially thanks to my experiences in this genre. In 2019, I became more invested in SCPF groups, leading divisions in larger and larger groups, and with it having more and more responsibility as an administrator/moderator. By 2020 I was pretty experienced in moderation, and proved that when I had moderation duties for the fairly large group, "Church of Decay." This was during it's peak activity, I had no problems moderating during my time there. Up to this point, most of my moderation positions had been tied directly to a position in a group. The first game I moderated that had a large player count was honestly pretty trivial. I was a Senior Administrator for an obby game called "Seas Difficulty Chart Obby," which peaked at around 3000 active players in-game at the same time. Although the game was fairly large, I was a bit overqualified. The moderation work was simple, just banning exploiters. Throughout the rest of 2020-2022 I slowed down a bit, helping out smaller groups and acting as an advisory role for many of my friend's groups, but this is where I did most of that work for the CS:GO and TF2 servers previously mentioned. Most notably in 2022, I found myself playing Combat Warriors pretty often, just out of boredom. Game Moderator applications rolled out in December, and I figured why not apply, with all my experience behind me. Out of around 1000 applicants or so, I passed the application alongside only 14 others. I dropped out of the onboarding process before the interview stage after I lost passion for the game. Over the last five months, I have just been going around Roblox, playing games for fun and managing some small groups with friends. I have been waiting for a game that I am truly passionate about, and when I started playing Perris, I knew Mountain Interactive had to be my next big goal.

5. What specific skills or knowledge do you possess that would be valuable for moderating a game or community? (e.g., knowledge of Roblox moderation tools, conflict resolution, understanding of community guidelines)  

Although I previously discussed some of my notable strengths when it comes to moderation in question 2, there are some more niche things I excel at when it comes to moderation. I don't think it is currently as big of a problem in Perris as it is in other games, especially now that Roblox has released Byfron, but I am well-versed in identifying closet cheaters. Thanks to my experiences in both non-Roblox shooters and moderating competitive shooters on Roblox (Staff for Counter Blox's professional league), I am able to tell if somebody is trying to hide aim or general weapon-related exploits. Again, I don't expect it to be too big of a problem on MI games considering their roleplay nature, but if I was to use a spectate command that could put me into an accurate first person view of the user, I would be able to confidently look for the proper signs of cheating. Another skill I didn't mention previously in my leadership ability. I can take control over situations of disarray, and organize people together as long as I have the resources to do so. This definitely comes in handy for moderation situations when something big happens and players have to be lead back on track to their regular activities.

6. How would you handle situations involving rule violations, inappropriate behavior, or disputes within the community? Please provide examples or scenarios to support your answer. 

If I am chosen to be a Moderator for Mountain Interactive, I will obviously follow the staff guidelines set out for me by management. I will issue the correct punishments for the correct violations, according to your staff guidelines. But let's say I was put in these situations without any guidelines, and had to act on my own judgment for moderation. Starting with rule violations, most direct rule violations with solid evidence warrant a ban, with the length varying. FRP and NLR would be a warning on first infraction, then a ban with an increasing length each infraction. RDM/metagaming honestly warrants a one day ban in my opinion, two day for RDM depending on the blatancy and intentions. Metagaming disrupts the order of roleplay, I believe that length is reasonable for a first infraction. NITRP would be a seven day, and Mass TK/MRDM is permanent. Just some general rules with estimated punishments. If the punishment lengths are not set in stone by staff guidelines and are purely staff discretion, then it can be difficult to give an exact example of what I'd do, considering that all situations are different. As for inappropriate behavior and disputes, it depends if it is on the forums, Discord, or in game. In game, disputes are not usually as serious as the other platforms and I would simply shut it down by respectfully separating the two people in disagreement and ask that they make their discussion private or to file a report if needed. As for Discord and the Forums, disputes can be much more serious and personal. If two people were aggressively arguing and causing disruption in a public Discord channel, I would calmly issue the two an unofficial warnings, if they continue after that I would have to mute them, depending on the severity of the argument. As for inappropriate behavior, if it is directly targeted with intention, that is a ban. Mountain Interactive is meant to be a fun, safe community for everyone to enjoy. There is no place for sexual or inappropriate content or speech with or without intention. Nobody should feel uncomfortable just hanging out in a server.

7. What strategies would you implement to promote a positive and inclusive environment within the game or community you would be moderating?

As a moderator, it is essential that we are always keeping the player in mind. What lead them to this situation? What made them choose to break this rule? If we consider all aspects of the violator's perspective, we can figure out the best way to approach the situation in a respectful and professional manner and respond to it accordingly. Another strategy I like to implement in order to uphold an inclusive environment is to lead by example. As a moderator for a community, you are held to a certain high regard among the players. We must act in a positive manner whilst on both on and off duty so that everyone may follow in our footsteps and help build the inclusive environment that Mountain Interactive is creating. On top of this, we can promote positivity by commending and acknowledging those good members of our community that are consistently acting like optimistic role models here. If we congratulate and support the good behavior, others will want some of that spotlight and it will spread across everyone.

8. Are you familiar with the rules and guidelines specific to Mountain Interactive's game or community? 

Yes, I have read all the community rules and guidelines multiple times, and I ensure that I am always following them.

9. How would you handle situations where players or community members may become upset or confrontational with your moderation decisions? How would you maintain professionalism and diffuse tense situations? 

If they are being verbally aggressive about the moderation in a game server, I would choose to not acknowledge so as not to create a big scene where there doesn't have to be one. If there is a public complaint on the forums or in a Discord channel, I will calmly direct them to the correct Staff Reports subforum. Once properly reported, I will provide my own evidence to support my case, and explain my actions in well-founded, clear points. Unless I truly made an actual mistake, I will stay confident in my position, standing with my action without becoming aggressive towards the community member.

10. Can you provide examples of how you have effectively communicated and collaborated with team members in previous roles or experiences? 

In most of my staff positions, the primary source of communication between the team takes place on Discord. In my positions outside of Roblox on CS:GO and TF2, TeamSpeak is also quite popular. For tackling large goals set by community management, I have found that Trello can be an extremely useful tool for organizing that. When I need to reach out directly to a fellow staff member for a question or advice, I have found it most efficient to use either Discord direct messages, or forum messages. Honestly, I prefer using the forum, but in this age of gaming, Discord is usually quicker. I understand that communication can be a weakness of mine, but that is why I push myself to do it as often as I can to grow as both a moderator and a person. From what I have noticed personally and learned from some Mountain Interactive staff, the moderation work appears to be fairly case-by-case, without too much need for staff communication. Respond to report, gather evidence on individual or groups of individuals, and issue the punishment, it gets logged. This fits my style of moderation perfectly, but I will ensure that I am always talking to other staff daily about what is going on. If I were to join the MI staff team, I would be interested in possibly starting a weekly report for myself, if that doesn't already exist. It would just outline how my week of moderation went, all the punishments issued, and thoughts on the community. It would be available for all the staff to read, and I believe it would be nice, with other staff possibly following in the footsteps and starting their own summaries. When it comes to communication between members of a team, I strongly believe that openness and availability of information is the most important element.

11. How do you handle feedback and constructive criticism? Give an example of a situation where you received feedback and how you incorporated it to improve your performance.

I am a big fan of constructive criticism. It is where I learn and grow the most. As humans, it is pretty common that we overlook our mistakes out of our own pride. Sometimes all we need for a big improvement is some feedback from the people around us. As a moderator, it is our duty to listen to input and criticism so that we can make ourselves better and ultimately benefit the community from our own growth. When I was just starting out as a moderator back in 2016, I had many flaws. I did my job, but I was lacking some core fundamentals in the mindset of a staff member. I used to be immature, even disrespectful to the rule-breakers I moderated. After a while of this, I did begin to receive some constructive criticism from both other moderation staff and regular members of the community. I took a step back mentally, considered myself, the group, and the people who I was receiving feedback from. I decided to make some changes in my moderation, displaying myself and carrying out my actions in a more professional manner. It didn't take long to receive some positive feedback, and I actually got promoted after I made these important changes. Thanks to that input I have become a much better moderator, and learned the significance of making personal changes in response to respectful criticism.

12. Are you comfortable working in a fast-paced and dynamic environment with changing priorities and tasks? How do you manage your time and prioritize tasks effectively?

Yes, I am. In plenty of moderation positions, the environment is always changing, and many can find it hard to keep up. I have taught myself how to continue with the flow of the work, setting reminders and knowing how to efficiently navigate my computer to do multiple things at once. Thanks to my schedule usually being readily available and open to change, I am prepared to take on any project or task management throws at me. I know how to properly shift my schedule and balance my real-life responsibilities with my online responsibilities.

13. Describe a challenging situation you encountered while moderating a community or game. How did you handle it, and what was the outcome? 

When it comes to Discord, I have been in situations where the server was being mass raided by a large group of people (20+) while I was the only moderator online. These can be tough, but if you are efficient enough with Discord moderation bots, you can clean things up pretty quickly. My first step was to use a command to ban all the obvious raiders at once. Next, I thankfully had server invite permissions, and located the invite that was being used by the raiders to join the server. I disabled the invite, returned to the channel, and looked for any remaining raiders. There was one or two remaining, I banned them, and put out a temporary public apology message to the channel for the situation. I then went to the ban list, cross-referenced the Discord profiles with possible Roblox accounts, and discovered the group that raided us. Put out a warning in the staff channel about the raiders and the group, then rectified the chaos that was happening in the general chat. I remained actively watching the server for the next hour, monitoring new joins and invite links. The community was pretty annoyed at first, but thanks to quick action, most people forgot about it by the next day. On Roblox, the most challenging situation I encountered was a fairly long period for a milsim group I was administrating. The group's game was based on server startups, where they would be announced in the Discord server and lasted for a few hours. During a regular SSU, everyone appearing to lag and disconnect at the same time. The staff team came to the conclusion that it was a DDoS attack. We started a new server right back up, but within two minutes it too went down. It can be extremely difficult finding the perpetrator from a DDoS attack, as in-game moderation is practically useless in determining the source. Over the next week, we continued trying to host SSUs, and for most of them the game would be lagged out within 10 minutes. While doing this however, we kept tabs on every single player that connected, creating a list of possible suspects. We didn't bother hosting late at night to try and catch them, as nobody would show up anyways. By the end of the week, after background checking the top suspects, we determined the most likely DDoSer. After silently blacklisting them from the game, we hosting a regular SSU with a full announcement, and the game never shut down. We banned the user from the Discord, and I think they lost interest after that. The group's activity returned to normal, and didn't have any other incidents like that for the rest of it's time.

14. What steps would you take to proactively identify and address potential issues or conflicts within a community or game you were moderating?

If I am actively moderating a game, I will have as many different tools open as I can at the same time. Continuously observing chatlogs and spectating different people to look for any possible red flags. If I see a red flag such as a user using speech that is borderline racist, I would spectate the player closely, and take action the second something breaks guidelines. I don't believe it is right for any moderation action to be completely proactive. Moderation should only be taken once a violation has actually been committed, and I use everything at my disposal to ensure I can respond to it as quickly as humanly possible.

15. How do you stay up-to-date with current trends and best practices in community moderation or game management? 

For general moderation trends Roblox-wide, I have many friends in staff positions across all genres on Roblox, and often chat with them about what is new. As for MI, I am a big fan of the forums, which comes from my experiences as staff in non-Roblox games where forums are much more popular. I genuinely don't think it is necessary to go out of you way to discover what is new in moderation/management. If you are an active member of any large community, you will see new things as they come. If I am curious about something specific, I will reach out personally to somebody who I believe could answer my query.

16. Can you describe a time when you had to make a difficult decision or enforce rules/policies that may have been unpopular? How did you handle the situation, and what was the outcome? 

Yes, a similar situation that has happened in plenty of communities that I have moderated. As a moderator, it is important that we enforce the rules without any bias whatsoever. Unfortunately, even the most beloved members of a community make mistakes. I have been placed in situations where I have banned a rule violator who just so happens to be loved by the community surrounding them. After moderation of these individuals, there is commonly a public uproar demanding they are unbanned, I've seen people fake evidence just to try to get these guys unbanned. These are some of my least favorite interactions as somebody who prides themselves on listening and taking input from the general playerbase. I provided full evidence that the moderation was valid, and explained everything thoroughly to the people complaining. After I had made everything as clear as I possibly could, there wasn't much else that I can do. The wrong thing to do in this situation would be to cave in and revert the punishment on the user. This makes the staff team look bad, like we are unsure of our decisions. When we make difficult decisions, it is of utmost importance that we stand our ground.

17. Have you ever dealt with situations involving user privacy or data protection? How would you ensure the privacy and security of community members' information? 

I have unfortunately had to deal with multiple doxxers over the course of my moderation career. Mostly taking place on Discord, I ban the doxxers immediately once the situation comes to my attention, and offer any help I can to the victim involved. It is important to enforce strict guidelines on the sharing of personal information online, and constantly advocating for people to keep things that could risk their privacy away from the online community realm. The most common way doxxers get somebody's personal information isn't from an IP grabber, but from that person leaving some simple way for the doxxer to find their real information, such as an Instagram link in a bio. I ensure the safety, privacy, and security of the communities I moderate by staying in touch with people, upholding privacy rules, and pointing out possible sources of data breaches that I notice to individuals via private messages.

18. How do you approach fostering a sense of inclusivity and diversity within a community or game environment?
Creating an inclusive community is something that takes consistent effort and ongoing communication, and is an important thing that must be held onto once achieved. There are multiple factors that go into creating this positive environment. The most important, in my opinion, is to establish and solidify those important guidelines that support an inclusive community. New policies must be created when needed in order to adapt to the ever-changing environment that is Mountain Interactive, its games, and this RP genre in general.  A staff team must always be open to every form of input and feedback so it knows the changes that should be made. Management needs to be strict on the moderation and administration teams, removing staff who fail to uphold integrity and respect. A core aspect of being a staff member of a community is making sure everyone feels safe, and creating that diverse, welcoming environment.

19. Are you familiar with any specific moderation tools or software? If so, please provide details of your experience with them. 

Thanks to my experience in moderation, I am well-versed with Adonis, HD and Kohl's. I am most proficient with Adonis, as it is very popular, Kohl's has become obsolete over the years. Although I have never had the opportunity to directly use SimpleAdmin, I have researched it because I know it's what you use here at MI. I understand the commands, and I'm confident that I would have no problem moderating your games with it.

20. Are you available and committed to dedicating sufficient time to fulfill your responsibilities as a staff member? Please provide an estimate of the number of hours you can commit each week. 

I am regularly available and prepared to commit a significant amount of time into this position. In a busy week, filled with schoolwork, I can usually make enough time to put a minimum of 10 hours in. On weeks where I have little to no work, I can dedicate 25 up to 30 hours a week into Mountain Interactive. Like most time-related things, it can vary greatly.

21. Did you review the staff requirements provided by Mountain Interactive? (y/n) 
Y

22. Did you proofread your application for spelling and grammar errors? (y/n)
Y